The Family Room symbolizes love. Being the first room you normally go when you enter your home, it is usually decorated with the things the family loves the most – paintings, pictures, accessories, ornaments… As a receiving room for visitors, it basically sets the mood of the home and reflects the personality of its owners. It is also the space where family members spend time together to relax, share stories, and create memories.
In the years following the Second World War, new spaces were created to accommodate activities unsuited to a formal living room or parlour, among them, the family room, outfitted with a television and with furniture that could actually be used by children, an informal place where people could relax and spread out.
This space serves a similar function in the home to a living room: it's a gathering place for everyone to convene and relax together at the end of the day. That said, there are some differences. Family rooms are more relaxed spaces, and tend to be more kid-friendly.
Having a stylish and elevated Family Room is everyone’s dream! Here you have some decor items from our collection that will help you:
- Metal can for cocoa. Riquet & Co. Gegründel, 1745: As we mentioned before, this room is perfect for spending time with your kids so, What do kids love the most? Chocolate!
- French open-faced cupboard. 19th century: This cupboard is perfect for organizing different decoration pieces, books, photographs… All in the same space of the room but looking incredible as always!
- Pair of mid-century upholstered chairs: Chairs and furniture are usually the center of attention of this type of space, with its beautiful blue color we can assure you no one will be able to unnoticed them.
- Pair of duck-shaped water jugs. France: Animals are kids best friends, even though they won’t be able to play with this ducks, this pieces will give a nice touch to your family room.
- Armchair made of wood and bulrush wicker. France, 1930s: Who doesn’t like to have their own special spot? To read and relax, have a nice conversation and of course be the protagonist of family gatherings by reading kids books!
- Andirons and chimney bar with chestnut branches decoration, end of the XIXth century: Siting around the Chimney has to be one of the best family plans that exist, usually we spend a lot of time around it so, let’s give it a stylish touch with this pieces!
- Pair of floral sconce. France, beginning of the XIXth century: We can’t deny we love flowers, we always have beautiful bouquets in our houses. We have to say that this sconce will give and extra sweet a warm touch to your room.
- Ceramic serving dish with floral motifs: Flowers everywhere! You can put it as your table centerpiece, use it to serve dishes for special events, or even as a single decoration piece!
- Table lamp, green Murano glass. 20th century: This may be the most daring piece of the entire family room collection, a subtle and delicate green touch that will light up your room!
Family time happens more easily when you have a place where you can all spend time together, take advantage of this time at home by creating good memories in a Family Room decorated by you with this wonderful antiques!